5.04.2012

Thank You, Collette Ishiyama!!!

We've been really lucky with the designers we have met along The Fancy Affair journey.  Collette Ishiyama is one of the designers we just can't get enough of and yesterday proved why we just love her even more.  TFA/CI similar loves:  cats, stripes, red lipstick, looking for cute animal videos on youtube, and of course, jewelry!

A studio, not too far from one of my favorite bars in the East Village called Elsa (she's a fan too!)  is where Collette Ishiyama designs and hand makes all her jewelry.  I was literally in awe of all the tools and the technique she uses to make all the jewelry.  She's like a one woman show!  Sketches, materials, a torch, lions, tigers, and Ponyo - her super cute cat and when I say cute, I mean so cute that I actually took more photos of the cat than anything else! Whoops!  Collette gave me a tutorial of how to solder.  (*Solder - is a fusible metal alloy used to join together metal workpieces and having a melting point below that of the workpiece.)  It was really interesting to see the process of how to solder the post to the earring.  Even if I tried to explain it right now, you'd all be really confused, but it was really cool and made me appreciate her work even more.  Check out some of the photos from the visit at the Collette Ishiyama studio!  And get ready because The Fancy Affair has some of her pieces coming real soon!  Thank you again Collette


No comments:

Post a Comment